Monday 22 October 2012

I love Berlin: Colours Vintage and History


























On my recent travels I visited Berlin and instantly fell in love with the meshes of time in the architecture, the vintage clothes bargains and free museums, while not forgetting the effortlessly good-looking men! 

Berlin is a colourful and vibrant capital and I highly recommend visiting if you have the chance.

What first captured my interest in Germany’s capital was the mixture of history and modernity in the architecture. The air-raids of the Second World War left a third of Berlin’s buildings decimated and rebuilding projects still continue.

Yet out of the ashes of the twentieth century has arisen a strikingly modern metropolitan. Bright purple piping twists through the capital. The streets are incredibility clean and at each corner of your eye you capture modernist shapes and colours even if it’s just a coffee shop billboard.

I started my day by visiting The Topography of Terror, a free museum, which situated on the former grounds of the Gestapo and SS headquarters and running along a preserved section of the Berlin wall. The outdoor museum or information centre has glass panels and exhibitions providing a chronology of the Nazi regime’s instruments of oppression. It is a great source of information and a good basis to start your museum visits in the city.

I also revisited the East Side Gallery, a section of the Berlin Wall which now is painted by artists from all across the world, serving as an international memorial for freedom. It is an interesting and poignant set of murals. It’s just a shame about the graffiti from random tour groups which feel the need to write woz ere 2005.




















































Finally I checked out Colours located at Bergmannstrasse 102, 10961. 

I keep repeating that I have been here just in case it turns into an urban legend. If you love vintage clothes and are in Berlin I would definitely recommend hopping on the metro to find this place. 

Colours is a large warehouse jam- packed with vintage clothes, shoes and accessories. You can find literally anything there: cheap yet amazing quality leather boots, plaid shirts, cut off levi shorts and flowery maxis.

They have a happy hour, which will make you re-think drinking happy hours in a whole new light, as the from the hours 11.00 to 15.00 on Tuesdays they offer 30% off clothes!

I missed the happy hour, but during the whole day they have an offer where you can buy clothes at the kilo.

I picked up this red chiffon top, for under 1 Euro!! And this good quality studded leather belt for under 10 euro.



This bag I also found in a vintage shop which I stopped at on the way to Colours for a 3 Euros!! 

Unfortunately only had one day to dot about this fabulous city but I’ve got the travel bug to go back, and if you’re planning Berlin and visit Colours take me with you!

Listening while I blog...
Wicked Games by The Weeknd
 

2 comments:

Laura said...

i love the little bag at the end of the post.
you have a great blog, i'm follower number 10, yay!
please pop over and say hi, you seem so lovely, i'd love to chat some more.
hope to hear from you soon,
laura xx
http://ilikecrayonsxo.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

I would absolutely LOVE to go to Berlin! Top of my travel list. Thanks for all the info :)
xx
vividbeautyblog.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting